Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Easy Things to Do to Help the Planet

I thought I'd share the simple, easy, no- or low-cost things I do to help the planet. I'm hoping to inspire others to do the same things!

What I do to help the planet:

Work from home four days a week, which saves the 35 mile (one way) commute.
Bring my own cloth bags to the store (mine live in my car so I don’t forget them).
Recycle.
Turn the water off while I brush my teeth.
Turn off unused lights.
Unplug unused appliances, including the tv and microwave.
Buy organic.
I don’t eat mammals – no cows, pigs, sheep, etc.
I drive a little car that gets really good mileage (but I sure do miss my Wrangler!)
Click a day to feed animals in shelters, protect the rainforest, etc.
I use Blackle as my home page.
Donate time, money and goods to organizations that protect the environment and/or animals, such as Defenders of Wildlife and The Nature Conservancy.

I get e-mail alerts and then sign petitions and send e-mails to policy makers from such organizations as Greenpeace, The Wilderness Society, and the World Wildlife Fund.

My long distance carrier is Credo, formerly Working Assets. They donate a portion of your phone bill, at no cost to you, to progressive causes. You get to vote to decide who they donate to and how much they send! How cool is that?

What can you do to help the planet?

No comments: